Monday 26 November 2007

An Afghan Wedding

Had lunch with M yesterday, good fun! We had a laugh session about Afghans here and abroad and at the same time we agreed that if we hear any international say it, we'd verbally bash 'em. We're afghans, it's okay for us.

A week or so ago, i went to a wedding. I cant be bothered regurgitating the events so i've 'stolen' this passage from Mina's blog (thanks, hun!) Needless to say, what she experienced, i did too!

Basically it was very close to weddings I saw in North America – a band, a sitting area for the bride and groom (he hangs out with the ladies), a dance floor, and lots of food. There were however, a few differences. First was how bright the women’s dresses were - orange, bright green, etc. In most Afghan weddings I’ve been to in Canada, there are only 2 or 3 ladies who make this fashion choice. Here it was the majority. Another thing about the outfits was that they changed them about 3 to 4 times. This was of course only the closely related family; but even included the baby and children. I was in the same outfit the whole night (I always chose Indian outfits because they are as comfortable as pajamas and well accepted by Afghans. Who wants to pull on their strap all night?) . Anyway, this meant that you could spot me at anytime. The family members however, looked different every 15 minutes, so when I was looking for people I knew to say bye; I couldn’t find them because they were wearing new outfits.

The next thing that I just loved – was how the food was delivered. There were plates of every kind of food set on your table, underneath which was a plastic table cloth. The food was very tasty and even fruits and desserts were on the table. When it came time to clean up – I started to hear what sounded like an earthquake. No, it wasn’t a rocket. It was the sound of the waiters RUNNING away from the tables with their trays. They pick up the plastic, which is now holding all of the plates, platters, glasses, etc and pile them on to one tray. Then they hold that tray up with one hand, and run so they don’t drop it. It’s something that was very hard to capture in a picture, but I tried.


Speaking of home, i made a mental list. I've become an insomniac since learning about my trip back home. Spending the whole night awake thinking about what presents to get and for whom. Who to visit, what to do. I know my first visit will be to Maccaz (McDonalds) and if any of my relatives wish to invite me, they can bring home take-away... fish and chips or Maccaz or Pizza. NO AFGHAN FOOD, PLEASE. K.A can make a note of this. ahaha.

SM, ur a darl for wanting to have a night and kicking ur poor man out of the house so we have an all-girls night. love ya!

I'm at work, my tummy hurts. I really need to go back to australia and get a thorough medical examination, i probably have a zillion cancers in my body that i don't know about. hahahaha.

Anyways, back to work...

No comments: