Sunday 25 November 2007

A distorted Paghman picturesque

Rushed into work. Bumped into our Aussie security dude before anyone else. We, of course discussed the election results. Before even checking my hotmail inbox (which is my number one daily priority), I logged onto MSN and spoke to W about- THE ELECTIONS! I’m stunned at Labors win! I’ve always liked Kevin Rudd, even as shadow minister. He’s an excellent speaker. Always has sharp comebacks! But history has proven, Labor and economics aren’t a good match. Immigration policy wise- it’s good for all the FOBs waiting to gain entry into Austaralya!

As for weekend highlights.

I was in the kitchen about to start cooking when my phone rang, it was a relative, S calling. I answered with a smile, ‘hey S, whats up?’
‘Guess what?’ was all I heard from the other end in her out of breathe voice. I asked if she was okay and why she’s so huffed. ‘I heard a bomb go off and then fire shots, the whole house shook and windows shattered.’ She was in complete shock. Her husband left the house, he thought they had targeted his uncle again who is the Chief security officer for Paghman. She hung up and told me she’ll call me later on with the news. I told her not to worry and that the scary part is DURING the explosion, the aftermath (although tragic) won’t do further physical damage. I assured her everything will be alright.

I hung up and lifelessly carried myself into the lounge room, positioned myself on the floor, next to the couch. I sat in solitary silence and stared into nothingness out the window. Kids gathered there, I thought to myself, how can they be so cruel? Why? Why?

These words came to my head as I grieved silently in tears.

Plastic sandals in a heap. Were they discarded in a hurry, as the frightened feet ran away? Or were the sandals blown off, right after the children?

Dust and screaming in the tree-lined streets? Grown men hitting themselves in frustration, crying for their children?

Our children murdered. Again and again.


This morning on my way to work, I had the following conversation:

Driver: Do you remember when we once went to Paghman and stopped on the way to buy apples?
Me: Yes
Driver: He too was killed.

I shook my head! An apple seller on the side of the road, earning barely enough to support his household. Why? Why? Why the injust disposition on our nation?
6 people killed, mostly children. My heart goes out to the families. May God give them the strength and patience to carry on.

Also went to a takhjamee in the village. Very interesting observation. Forgive me if I don’t sound too descriptive but I’m still saddened by the Paghman attacks. We were supposed to visit grandads grave and then go for a picnic. So I pulled on a pair of jeans, a sweater and my runners.

On the way, our driver insisted we join him and his family at the ‘takhjamee’. My god, I was in jeans and they want us to go to a village takhjamee? Girls who wear pants are considered to be wearing men’s attire. Oh well, my parents agreed and so I didn’t defy.

We entered the mud house to be greeted by a swarm of women. Oh no, I thought, I hate the kissing formality ESPECIALLY when you have no idea who they are. So I just took a deep breath and braced myself. I had my baby sister in my arms, hoping that would create a barrier so they don’t bother kissing me.

But. I was wrong!

I smiled and winced as each woman grabbed me (either by my shoulder or the back of my head) pulled me to her and kissed my cheeks five times alternating between left and right. I’ll dodge the next one, I thought.

But. I was wrong!

Kiss left cheek, kiss right cheek, kiss left cheek, right again, then finally left again. Yay, I’m free, only to be faced by another.

*sigh* yet, I still love our culture and our people.

The entire ‘takhjamee’ process was the norm apart from the dressed up women who looked like the white chicks from the movie ‘White Chicks’. They wore brightly coloured dresses with glittery sequins. White tombaans peeked from under their dresses.

Their hair. Oh boy did I like this part. It was permed- noodle perms! They had a whole heap of curled fringe on their forehead and long poodle looking curls dangling from next to their temples all the way to their shoulders. It reminded me of my sheepskin Qaraqol coat.


My MSN convo with W (don't ask why i put these, i guess it's for my own reference).


Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
salaam
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
how are u?
W Says:
Good
W says:
w/s
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
fill me in on the aussie elections
W says:
hah
W says:
John Howard lost
W says:
even his own seat i believe
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
i heard that bit, even the dodgy afg news said that, tell me REAL news.
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
damnnn.. by how much did labour win?
W says:
i think they may have a majority of 24 seats
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
that's good
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
i'm happy but australias economy is going down with Labour
W says:
yeah i believe that too
W says:
but apparently he is an ecconomic conservative so i guess we will just have to wait and see
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
i hope so! personally, i like kevin rudd! even when he was shadow minister, hes an excellent speaker
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
i'm reading the news right now.. COSTELLO ISN'T GOING TO BE LIBERAL LEADER????? Damn!
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
whose taking his place then? come onnnnnnnn, u slowy! i'm in afg and i have more Aussie elections news than you
W says:
who said he isnt?
W says:
obviously the caucas has to elect him
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
i'm READING THE NEWS!! something you should know!
W says:
i think its just a formality
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
noooo i'm talking about the liberals... why would the caucus elect a liberal leader?
W says:
shalgham jan.... the liberal caucus
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
there is no liberal caucus... only labour is called caucus. go back to school!
W says:
kee mega
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
but it's good now, states are all labour and so is federal!
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
go and google it! u'll find for urself!
W says:
no really,... increased chance of corruption i believe
W says:
not really
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
The Federal Parliamentary Australian Labor Party, commonly known as The Caucus
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
i googled it for you!!!
W says:
yeah
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
whats happening with our aussie troops? is Rudd going to bring em home
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
ufffffffff maam keera porsaan mekonom, kadoo! lol
W says:
Rudd ba ma zang zad emroz
W says:
and he said ... Wjan when do u want me to pull out the troops from Iraq
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
ahahahhahahhaha
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
qawarah!
W says:
i dont think he will be withdrawing any time soon
W says:
i think his position is that he will withdraw troops responsibly
Me My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
i reckon it was all done for show! he's not going to get the troops out, coz if he does then he won't have US backing. as much as labour SAYS they don't care about Bushy. They DO!
W says:
did u even vote ?
Me- My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
lol no
W says:
churra eqadar gaap khay mezani
W says:
chup
Me- My god, Ruddy boy won! says:
ahahhahahaha

No comments: