Monday 14 May 2007

Say hello to my new friends- stomach cysts!

Its Friday 11 May- typing this on my laptop on Word (internet failure AGAIN).

After receiving results for a medical check up (as required by my new job) I met my new friends. I am told to take medication (eugh) and avoid take away food, tap water and wash all vegetables with potassium permanganate before consumption.

No wonder I’ve been feeling sick and nauseous lately.

Have been very busy of late.

Tuesday- went shopping for my sisters engagement dress. OMG it was a challenge! It was literally shop til you drop. Result: we found a realllllly nice dress! Thanks to my taste.

Wednesday- organised my job requirements. They wanted me to start today but I declined as it was too sudden. Told them I will start tomorrow (Thursday- also last day of the week in Afghanistan).

Thursday- First day at work! Much more pleasant than expected. Settled in quite well. Most colleagues were surprised as to why I had applied as a national and not as an international employee. Another Afghan-Australian at the office is also employed as a national. His reason is so that he remains low key (haven’t met him yet, just heard this from other colleagues). I asked my ‘concerned’ colleagues what the difference was- national or international (I knew the answer, but I wanted them to say it). Salary difference! Then I explained my reason to them.

My reason? Well, I told them that I hadn’t come to Afghanistan for jeeb porr kaddan (filling pockets with money). That quietened them.

Another aussie works in our office, he’s from Queensland. we had a chat about Australia- it was great meeting someone from home.

The boys with whom I share an office with, are normal. So I don’t have a problem, there are quite a few weirdos around but my superiors told me to let them know if they ever make me feel uneasy. It’s my pleasure! But I’m not in direct contact with the ‘weirdoes’ (guards) unless it’s entering or exiting the compound.

Work hours are looooong- eight to five with a one hour lunch break! Thankfully, we have a two day break (as all international companies do) Friday and Saturday.

BB completed my shopping! So happy, so very happy!

There’s a hen’s night tonight (aka Henna night)- some distant relative is getting married to some afghan dude from london. Stomach feels funny- not in the mood of going! The wedding is tomorrow night. Hmmmm…..

My parents and grandma have gone to hamaam. I didn’t go this time because last time I felt totally sick (that’s partly the reason). The other part of the reason is that I just don’t like the place. Farkhunda, you’re so right!
There was an interview on TV the other night with Malalay Joya (MP for Farah province). 28 years of age, 12 body guards. She makes incredible comments on issues- fellow MP’s, former communist regimes in Afghanistan, the mujahideen fighters, warlords and the list goes on. Joya calls herself ‘the voice of Farahs underprivileged’ and she’s also realised that by speaking out against certain groups she’s putting herself in great danger (not to mention water bottles being thrown at her in parliament and being beaten by fellow women MPs a while ago). Joya realised this and claims that by speaking out (initiated 3 years ago) she’s geared in her kafan (burial dressing for the dead).

Whether I agree or disagree with her viewpoints is a different case, but I admire her courage and passion as an afghan woman (even though she gets a bit emotional at times).

Until next time…….
Ba omideh deedaar, khuda negahdaar.

No comments: