Thursday 8 March 2007

OMG! So many questions...

Are you staying there forever?

No, maybe for a year or two maximum. I miss Australia already! I miss my friends, my car, my life, my uni! But even if i don't come back for good, I'll definitely come back to visit! Depends on what I can do here in Afghanistan.

What do you do when you're not out?

Stay home (duh!!) with a hot chocolate in front of the heater, reading a book, on my laptop or watching TV. There's an Afghan TV channel 'Tolo' that's owned by Melbournian Afghans! Studies are keeping me busy! But usually we have people coming over so i'm up and about!

Hows life at home?

It's great! Sometimes, for inspiration I look out the window and just watch people get on with everyday life! You see kids on bikes, then there are the rich ones riding around in Landcruisers and Lexus 4Wds. Kids playing cricket on the street, Guys showing off with their cars hitting on girls. It's all new to me but i'm loving every bit of it!

Hows the night life?

I'm a good girl! lol. Night life is excellent because you can go about and do things and you realised that it's all within the boundaries. There's heaps of fun out at the markets and shopping centres. Only been a week i've arrived, give me time to get used to the place!

Hows the shopping?

EXCELLENT! Surprisingly our economy is doing much better than Pakistans. $1Aus buys 37 Afghanis whereas it buys 48 Rupees. Secondly, the shopping complexes are much more advanced and ahead than Pakistan. I haven't been shopping around much, just getting around at orphanages and applying for jobs etc.

Hows lifestyle?

Better than i expected! I thought the men would go all ga ga over women but they're true gentlemen! They don't bump sinto you 'accidently' like they do in Pakistan even if they have 5metres of space next to them. And I can dress normal like i did in Australia because it's normal to do so here. Unlike Pakistan where i had to wear all the Indian crap which i HATED! I'm so glad i'm out of there!

You gonna work there or study?

Both! I'm finishing off my second degree (BLaw) and I'm also looking for a job. My dads cousin founder of ' Mahbobas Promise' wants me to work with her and help out with the orphanage! Basically, my number one enemy at the moment is poverty and alcohol in Afghanistan.

Wots gonna happen??????

I don't know! I'm taking everyday as it comes. Usually I would have my whole year planned out. But this place is unpredictable. I'm open to changes so we'll see what happens! I'll keep you informed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firstly, have you been posting yourself these questions? :-S

JOKES

How are you finding it living in a country where there is such a large gap between the rich and the poor, where you ride in a luxury 4wd and you literally see thousands of people starving for food? Don't you think the extra money you spent on leather seats and dvd players on your 4wd would have been better spent helping these people?

Please don't take my question the wrong way, I mean, I too am materialistic but I live in Australia where nearly all people are well off and where there are near equal opportunities for all.

So, even if I one day I drive a Porsche or Ferrari, I will not feel any guilt because I know that everyone has had an equal chance.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

I dont agree with the above comment to some extent.

1- how do you know that she hasnt made any contributions to these poor people? you cant actually start judging someone without knowing the whole truth.

2- judging each other or someone else is exactly where the problem lies and its the exact thing that has put the country through all the pain. even worse then been materialistic is judging one and other. its a good thing shes doing, because where myself and you are in Australia sitting in our nice homes, shes actually there and making an effort..

3- So if you drive a ferrari in Australia its ok.. but you cant drive a 4wd in afghanistan? if people stopped been selfish and stopped pointing fingers around. Afghanistan would actually be somewhere by now.. but this is not to be seen in the near future or in fact not at all.

cheers


cheers

Atash Parcha said...

Alright in answer to the first comment:

No, i haven't been posting these questions myself. I continuously recieved these questions from my friends and since it was getting repetitive, i figured it would be easier to answer these on my blog.

About riding in a luxury 4WD.. situation is very different here! If you drive a normal car (which is a Toyota Corolla in Afg) you will be searched at every checkpoint, so if we're stopped at a checkpoint we will be asked to show ID then we're given a hard time because we're from 'khaarij' and automatically you're assumed to be rich. Secondly, a 4WD is required because of the poor road works and traffic laws. Leather seats and DVD players, we weren't looking for one wiht such features! It just came our way!

So you're saying that everyone in Australia has an 'equal chance' of driving in a Ferrari or a Porsche? Sorry to say but I don't think that's the case at all!

In answer to the second comment:

I'm not sure who you are but you're right! My heart tears apart when i see a young child or an elderly person on the street begging! I have ideas and i have goals to help these people. But first i have to establish myself and ensure that i have a reputation so that i can establish others.

As i said, in this place, money talks! Unfortunately, if you dont drive a nice car, dress in nice clothes, have a good job.. then you won't be heard! In order for me to make a difference, i need to be heard!

Anonymous said...

To the blogger:
Well said. And it's good you're becoming a lawyer because you can talk some good shit! LOL

To anonymous:
I wasn't judging her, I was merely questioning her.
And about judging her, there is nothing wrong with being a critic because it allows us to see flaws in others, which creates constant improvements.

And finally, i never said one can't drive 4WDs in Afghanistan, I questioned why she would spend money on luxury items on the 4wd when it could have been spent on helping the poor.