Thursday 22 November 2007

Breaking barriers and making friends

Before i begin to say anything, i just want to thank you's all for listening to me pour my heart out over the past few days- phone calls, emails and SMS. For making me realise my worth and most importantly your advice. For opening my eyes and making me see reality.

I know, i know i'm supposed to be issuing the Panjshir chronicle and at the same time my sisters birthday parties, D's and T's.

Buttttt... the most unusual and unexpecting event took place. See, i was in australia keeping to date with current events in Afghanistan when a friend showed me a blog of an Afg-Canadian girl who moved to Kabul to work, Mina. It was a long while ago, i remember seeing her photoes and reading her blog. She was an insipiration!

We met!

Wanna know how? Well, a girl i know S.? was due to arrive to Kabul from the States for work a few weeks ago. She declined the offer and so she remained in the States. How did i meet the girl? well her father works here, runs some business. He was working on his laptop in a cafe when he saw me. He asked questions and explained to me that his daughter is coming down for work and he'd like us to maintain contact. i gladly exchanged email addresses with him. Soon enough, i heard from her but was disappointed that she's no longer coming. i was looking forward to making a new friend.

And so we spoke and got to know each other better and grew closer.

A while later, her brother arrived in Afghanistan for business with his wife. S.? gave me her sis in laws number and told me that she'll hook me up with a few decent girls in Kabul.

She called me first, it was great being able to talk to someone who i could relate to. She gave me Mina's number. At this stage, i had no idea who Mina was but when i spoke to S.?, she told me Mina was from Canada. Yeah, it was the blogger Mina.

So, she and I exchanged emails and got along pretty well. We discussed fashion in Kabul, the FOB guys at work and Salons. Just shallow girly stuff! Of course, i have my friends. But being with someone in Kabul who knows what it's like and we can laugh together about stuff. This is just the beginning i guess, the best is yet to come... bakhayr.

Everything is going well for me in Kabul, Shukor. I've always believed 'when God closes a door, he opens a window.' I have a good job, a challenging experience, meeting new and different people- all this in Afghanistan!

Shukor!

No comments: