Saturday 10 March 2007

Where the waters meet...

Yaaay! I found the lyrics to the song 'Shinwary Lawangeena'. Current fav in Afghanistan and across the globe..

The separation has weakened my heart.
Thoughts of the homeland bring tears to my eyes.
Too much love will drive me insane.
These flood waters do not scare me.
My courage will carry me across. When sung in the voice of a woman, this verse brings forth the inner strength of the women of this region. 'Floods' symbolize the patriarchal systems, cultural violence and other accepted impediments in the way of women's active participation in a citizenship and development process.

Why don't you return to your homeland?
You think you are living like a king, but, away from home, one is merely a beggar.

Help me leave the darkness behind, that I may spread light all across my land.
Your sister and your old mother, they love you.
'Why don't you come home?' they ask.

*sniff sniff*

Ba omideh deedaar... Khuda negahdaar

No comments: