Thursday 8 March 2007

Crossing the border...

"Khurd asteen, kalaan mesheen. Peer asteen, jawaan mesheen. Khub ast ke da wattan (Afghanistan) amadeen.'' (An elderly shopkeeper recited this to me)

*Translation: If you're small, you'll grow older. If your old, you'll become younger. It's good that you have returned to Afghanistan

It's been exactly a week since our arrival at Kabul. It's been a long trip, Malaysia, Islamabad, Peshawar and Kabul. We travelled by bus from Pakistan to Afghanistan.

Pakistan- a country I've dreaded since I can remember! I can almost say I hate it! And to be quite honest, my nightmare was relived. I found most Pakistanis as being rude and racist towards Afghans (not to me, compliments to my 'Australian' identity and passport). Centre of corruption and bribery, money gets people through any situation, regardless of the legality or morality of their action. I guess it's true when they say 'money talks'. In this place, it yells! Basically, I didn't like Pakistan because of the ill treatment of Afghans. Never before had I felt so unwelcomed as I did in Pakistan, not even Australia was so unwelcoming. I tell it like I see it, nothing more- nothing less!

We left for Kabul at 6am, feelings of excitement and anxiety had deprived me of sleep the night before. I couldn't believe this was happening, I was going to see my country, my people for the first time. I grew up with my family who held immense passion for their country, witnessing tears as they told their stories longing to return home. I felt honoured going to Afghanistan (for some odd reason which only time could explain). I could only imagine how my parents felt returning to Afghanistan after thirty years.

We crossed the border at 2pm. To be blunt and to the point, I was impressed! Afghanistans natural beauty stood tall and proud. The mountains creating a spectacular skyline, covering the clouds. Despite the cold weather and the snow, flowers bloomed amongst green landscapes. Afghans have the tendency of exaggerating, but what I had seen already deserved every bit of praise it recieved.

We drove through Laghman and Jalalabad. Stopping over at Maahi Parr for lunch, the river flowed from the mountains. It was the prettiest sight ever! To cut a long story short, we eventually reached Kabul (duh!!).

I was even more surprised to see Kabul so ahead in infrastructure despite twenty odd years at war. Busy streets filled with young men and women dressed in NORMAL clothes. I found it extremely frustrating in Pakistan when going out! Girls can't dress in normal (jeans etc) clothes because it isn't the social norm there. Women were required to wear salwar kameez (punjabis) which I resented!! I didn't want to blend in with the PAkistanis, I didn't want to wear their clothes! So i dressed in long black abayas (was mistaken for an Arab a million and one times) or I'd wear long tops over trousers. Regardless of what you were dressed in, you're bound to get pinched or bumped into 'accidently' by a man. I got bumped into 'accidently', I ended up punching the guy! (Later on I was told that punching a guy translated into a gesture of appreciation! What the...?)

Afghanistan was the exact opposite, Afghan men portrayed gentleman-like behaviour. Not once was I bumped into accidently. They did stare of course, as they probably could guess I had come new to Afghanistan. I fell in love with it almost immediately. Despite the dust, the mud and the cold weather.. I enjoyed every moment! It was my roots, I felt a sensation that is too overwhelming for words. One that can only be felt when you step foot on the soil of Afghanistan.

Alhamdullilah, all gratitude goes to Him for this journey!

Anyways, it's 4am so i better sign out! I'll write in some more... soon! Hey, at least i got the blog started :P

No comments: